How to apply for a Poland student visa

You will require a student visa to study in Poland as an international student unless you are a citizen of an EU country.

To study in Poland, you will just need a valid ID and travel documents, as well as to register your residency with the Voivodship (Provincial) Office.

All other international students will require a D-type visa, which allows them to stay in Poland for a year and study. You must apply for a temporary residence permit before your visa expires if you wish to stay longer.

Search for programs in Poland

Polish student visa process

  1. Confirm your university place: You must have accepted an offer from a Polish university and have proof of your place before you can apply for a visa.
  2. Find your nearest Polish consulate: You will need to visit a Polish embassy or consulate in your home country to have your visa application processed. You can find your nearest Polish consulate here.
  3. Set a visa appointment with the consulate: You will probably need to register online through the Polish consulate website first.
  4. Prepare your documents: See below for a full list of the documents you’ll need. The specific requirements may vary between consulates, so confirm with them first.
  5. Attend your appointment and submit your documents: Submit all the documents including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee. You should receive a decision within two to three weeks.

Applying for a Polish residence permit

The type D visa allows you to stay in Poland for one year, so you will need to apply for a temporary residence permit in order to stay for longer, for example, if you’re studying a three-year bachelor’s program.

You can apply for a permit by visiting your local Voivodship Office. You will need to submit:

  • An application form
  • Identity documents
  • Proof of your studies
  • Health insurance documents
  • Proof you have sufficient funds

Your first permit will be valid for 15 months, but can be renewed for up to three years, but not longer than the remainder of your studies. You can only apply when you are legally living in Poland, but before your visa expires.

Poland student visa requirements

Here are the documents you will need to provide when you apply for a Polish type D visa:

  • A completed and signed Poland student visa application form
  • Valid passport (must be valid for three months after your planned departure from Poland)
  • Official letter of acceptance from a university in Poland
  • Your CV
  • School certificates and diplomas
  • Proof of your English language proficiency
  • Evidence you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies
  • Health insurance documents
  • One passport-size photo
  • Proof of accommodation in Poland
  • Transport documentation, such as a rail or air ticket

Working with a Polish student visa

There are no restrictions on working with a Polish type D student visa. International students can work in Poland without needing a work permit, provided you have a valid residence permit.

Although it is possible to have a full-time job while you’re studying in Poland, you need to make sure working doesn’t affect your studies. If working long hours has a negative impact on your grades, you may find it harder to renew your residence permit.

Search for courses